From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 16:18:12 -0400
Rett wonders how much honey is needed to get through the winter.

As you say, Rett, it depends on where you are in the country.  Exhaustive
studies at Cornell during the 1960 s established 60 pounds as  safe  for
upstate NY, where I am.  I understand Ohio State and Penn State have arrived
at just about the same numbers for their Ohio and Central to Western Pa.  On
the other hand, I recently read a report that said 115 pounds is  safe  for
Minnesota.  This is one of those areas where you can get the "best"
information from members of your bee club...but be prepared for them to
differ a great deal in their advice.

The botulism situation for infants, as far as I know, is that their (infant
s) immune system cannot combat botulism until age 18 months or so.
Apparently, honey can harbor low, not dangerous to adult health, levels of
botulism.  Ergo, infants should not consume honey.  I also understand that
this is all theory and no infant death has ever been blamed on botulism from
honey.