From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Nov 2009 15:15:19 -0600
Peter posted about his friend,
> Hi Peter,
> I should call you.I am having the worst ccd ever since about mid July.Some
> yards 50%-75% loss,and it's not over yet.

I am always saddened when I hear of 50-75% loss. CCD has become  what to
call
all losses. It would be interesting to hear his symptoms.

Without looking at Peters friends hives and knowing the particulars my
comments are general and may or may not pertain. Most likely not!

July is a bit early for varroa *if* the beek did a spring varroa control
*but* is not unusual for strong hives in California which were fed before
almonds ( after the solace) and not treated in the spring ( only before
almonds)  as July would have been 7 months since the start of the spring
brood rearing if a spring varroa control was not used.

July is exactly the time hives with a heavy nosema ceranae spore count begin
to crash in the Midwest. Opposite from what we saw with nosema apis.

California beekeeping is very different than beekeeping in most areas. In
the Midwest we know when brood rearing starts and can plan accordingly.

I might add ( and hopefully will not upset many beeks) that I have had
several conversations with beeks about feedlot beekeeping. These are bees
which are being fed a huge number of patties with all manor of ingredients
and in some cases chemicals added. Fed one of the Honey B healthy mixes.
Thymol is many times added to patties as well as lemongrass oil.

My point is we have been told forever that there is no pollen substitute but
only a supplement to be used until fresh pollen is available. Now when I
talk
to some beeks they are of the opinion they can make a hive thrive on pollen
sub and syrup. However these same beeks report at times strange things with
those hives.
The most common is a hive which would rather feed from a feeder than forage.
This phenomenon is seen in my area with livestock. The cattle stand around
the area the feed is being fed (waiting for feed) and let a pasture grow in
grass & weeds.

Real "feedlot" beekeeping is not even a decade old  so the verdict is still
out. I will say that California reported more CCD than any other area.
California does the most feedlot beekeeping.

Whenever the industry changes methods then it takes time to see if will
work. I have always fed pollen as a help to the bees before fresh is
available and to weak hives which may not contain enough foragers to bring
in the pollen they need.

Hives fed pollen sub patties always brood quicker  than those without the
patties.

Hopefully the problem with peter's friends hives is not widespread.

bob