Date:
Mon, 16 Nov 2009 13:10:29 -0500
> I think we may not mean the same product. AFAIK, all the major products are fine. It is just that this one seems to fall short of its hype every time I hear about it. Oddly, it is the only one whose inventor runs down all the other products.

I received several replies off-list, and it seems people know which product I mean without my telling them.  Interesting.

It also seems that people use supplements in different ways.  Some use liquid, some dust and others use patties.

When I speak of supplements, I m talking about patty use.  In my mind, it is difficult to get a significant ration distributed to colonies using the other methods.  Additionally,the other methods can be messy and wasteful require additional equipment.

To me feeding dust is a good way to keep bees out of farmers' feed bins and may have some small benefit, however it is very lossy, uneven in distribution, weather-dependent, and marginally helpful to the colonies gathering it compared to having a large portion delivered close to the brood area.

Liquids are difficulty to deliver close enough to the brood, require feeders, tanks, pumps, buckets, etc. for delivery, are messy, and also require clean-up afterwards.

I know some swear by these other methods, but I am giving my opinion, based on personal experience over decades.

I also notice that some people seem to have an emotional attachment to the products they use and even become a bit abusive when they perceive a slight to their chosen diet.  This is amusing, but counterproductive because we need facts, and mud-fights don't contribute anything.

If anyone wants to prove that a supplement works, what is needed is documentation form independent researchers and/or users.

Some products have this and some do not.  There are a variety out there and some may be better than others in specific situations, depending on season and the available pollen sources being supplemented.  Some may be excessively "perfect" if the cost is too high.  What we need to evaluate is "Bang for the buck", and that is hard to measure.

Independent researchers are hard to come by, too, since several have interests in specific products which may or may not be disclosed.  For example, the USDA, one would think, should be independent and unbiased, however they have a dog in the fight, so have to be considered biased, whether they are or not.

Unintentional bias is a real risk in diet studies, since freshness is absolutely essential to good results.  If one product is straight from the factory and another has been obtained through distribution channels, very inaccurate conclusions can be reached.

The take-home message is that beekeepers need to verify for themselves that the product they buy is fresh and that it works for them.

My opinion or opinions of others mean nothing if the beekeeper is able to prove that a specific product gives value for price.

I have consulted for Global Patties since startup.  They make patties from any product the beekeeper orders, so I have been exposed to  the various products and beekeeper opinions on them over time. Something to remember is that the formulas in proprietary brands may change over time, sometimes for better, sometimes for worse.  Even a simple yeast/soy formula is subject to the supplies of yeast and soy available in the market.

Therefore, we have to be constantly on the lookout to ensure we are getting good value.

In my opinion, most of the big-name commercial products give good value.  There are a few minor products on the market, too.

I'd love to hear positive comments about any products members have used and any links to studies which objectively examine the various products.