Date:
Sat, 3 Nov 2018 20:57:48 -0400
Then there's this:

I investigated strategies for reducing Varroa mite populations (Varroa destructor)
in honey bee colonies (Apis mellifera) using oxalic acid (OA). I examined the efficacy of
OA in both broodless colonies and colonies that contain brood. My data indicate that OA
is most effective at reducing Varroa populations when colonies are broodless because
repeated applications of OA did not significantly reduce mite populations in colonies
when brood was present

The leading objective of the current study was to investigate the usefulness of
repeated mid-summer applications of OA for reducing Varroa mite populations in
colonies containing expanded brood nests.

My theory was that by applying OA 3 times at one week intervals, mites in sealed brood
cells would eventually come in contact with OA as adult bees emerged over the 14 day
treatment period and mites became phoretic on adult bees.

I conclude that repeated applications of OA did not significantly reduce Varroa
mite populations in honey bee colonies when brood was present.

Nicholas Paul Aliano. AN INVESTIGATION OF TECHNIQUES FOR USING OXALIC ACID TO REDUCE VARROA MITE POPULATIONS IN HONEY BEE COLONIES AND PACKAGE BEES. DISSERTATION