From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Nov 2005 10:18:26 -0500
> The conventional view is that DNA carries all our heritable information and
> that nothing an individual does in their lifetime will be biologically
> passed to their children. To many scientists, epigenetics amounts to a
> heresy, calling into question the accepted view of the DNA sequence – a
> cornerstone on which modern biology sits.
>
> Epigenetics adds a whole new layer to genes beyond the DNA. It proposes a
> control system of 'switches' that turn genes on or off – and suggests that
> things people experience, like nutrition and stress, can control these
> switches and cause heritable effects in humans.

http://www.wellcome.ac.uk/en/genome/thegenome/hg02b002.html

Epigenetics is not new. The date on the link is 2003.

I really do not see anything new here. It is just what I would call a
rephrasing of a "known" area of our understanding of what is going on
with DNA, RNA, proteins and all else that is associated with DNA (that
we know about).

I do disagree with the "nothing an individual does in their lifetime
will be biologically  passed to their children". That is bunk. Just look
at cocaine babies and Xrays. You can "damage your DNA (RNA? proteins?)"
or at least the process.

We are still nibbling at the edges of our understanding of DNA, RNA, and
proteins (and anything else involved). The transference of "learned"
genetic information could be by specific proteins. The whole area of
which proteins do what is still a major and difficult area of study, but
one the drug companies are putting a lot of money into. If they can
modify proteins to do their bidding, you are looking at true miracle
drugs that will do just what Epigenetics is saying is being done,
turning DNA sites on and off. But proteins are so complex that it makes
the cracking of the DNA sequence a  trivial problem.

Coupled with this is RNA which selectively replicates DNA sequences to
make proteins. RNA is the stepchild of DNA but has shown tremendous
promise in its use to combat disease.

If you can modify RNA and proteins during your lifetime, then it all
fits nicely and you do not need to change the DNA sequence but only what
turns certain sites on. You pass along different proteins, not new DNA.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine