From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 May 1996 21:36:44 -0700
 Hi All,  I went to a farmers market today to look around with a friend.
The beekeeper at the market puts his bees with mine up in the mountains
for fireweed honey.He is in his 60's and would run about 10 hives.He lost
9 this winter and is about to keep only one at home. I have spent all day
thinking about Clyde , the beekeeper.He is a good friend and is very active.
  I have been preaching about , keeping as many people as possible in
beekeeping.Here I'm finding out first hand what a real problem Varroa has
been to the small beekeeper and hobbiest. I lost 50 hives myself , so I
have a bad taist in my mouth also.
  Getting mad will do nothing to solve the problem. This list is a very
good tool.We have people working on the problem with Varroa. Genetic
control is the fix. It will take time and a lot of work. If we like it or
not beekeeping is changing. We need to change and need more education to
move ahead. Sue Cobey is putting on her class on instrumental Isemination
in June. I wish I was able to do it this year.We need more breeders
working with I I . It changes the playing field for us to improve our
stock. God gave us a great tool that sits on our neck. The more in use ,
the faster we keep improving.Demming taught Japan a couple simple things
to do and they gave are car companys major problems.Give the customer
what he/she wants at the best price possible. Improve your product all
the time.You can give your technology that you are using today because it
should be obsoleet next year for you.How that fits into Biology is
simple.We need to change the normal way of solving problems.We called it
a paradighm shift where I worked before I retired.When you fly in the
clouds , you don't know what you may run into.I like Bee-l and I have
learned a lot and have met some very great people over this machine.
 I was checking out moecular biology for a few months to see how the
PhD's were using it for there good. I was ammazed at how free they were
with info the they were working on. One person asked a question and
recieved 52 responces and in that info he was able to take a short cut
and save a lot of time redoing what someone allready have accomplished.
  We need to work on the edge , we need to get behind the genetic
solution to the Varroa problem.The USDA needs some queens that show some
resistance and we need to make shure our PhD's have a flat playing field
to work on , like some genetic stock that could be cleared by the USDA.
There are people all around the world that want to solve the same
problem. Everyone of us can do just one thing to help. Even if it is
keeping someone in beekeeping. We need to look at this a problem that has
not been solved as of now.Keep studying the mite until we know how every
little part works and why. I really do want to thank all the researchers
that have been working on the mites. TM did get some great people after
that one and it needs just a little attention with grease pattys to keep
it in check.The genetic side has worked also.
 Thanks for your time , as you can see , I hate to loose any beekeepers
,the Lord gave us the honeybee and we are to take care of it with his help.
 Best Regards
  Roy