From:
David Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Apr 1997 22:04:19 -0400
In a message dated 97-04-27 17:59:25 EDT, [log in to unmask] (Rick
Grossman) writes:

<< I have a question regarding cause and possible cures for one hive that
seems
 to have a number of bad traits.  The main one is that this hive both last
 year and this year seems to become honey and to a lesser extent pollen bound
 in the two standard deep brood chambers and does not like to store honey in
 the honey supers.  I have the honey supers above a queen excluder.  The
 honey supers are already drawn from previous years use.  This hive is also
 my main nasty one.  A couple of bees from the hive will follow me for hours
 after they are worked.  Is this problem due to hive management or is this a
 biological trait that comes from the queen? >>

Any colony that becomes crowded can become ugly, even if they are not
genetically predisposed.

Try moving three or four frames above the excluder.  If they have some brood,
so much the better.  That will get the bees working up there.

If some of the brood is drone brood, make sure they have an upper entrance.
Most of my supers already have upper entrance(s)   ;<)  ,  but you can offset
one of the supers a half inch if needed.

This will also give the queen laying space, and slow down (tho not prevent)
the swarm urge.

[log in to unmask]    Dave Green,  PO Box 1200,  Hemingway,  SC
29554        (Dave & Jan's Pollination Service,  Pot o'Gold Honey Co.)

Pollination for lay people, students, teachers
....Of bees, beekeepers, and food
http://users.aol.com/queenbjan/primbees.htm

Pollination for the pros - those involved in doing it:
Practical Pollination Home Page            Dave & Janice Green
http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html

Jan's Sweetness and Light         Varietal Honeys and Gift Sets
http://users.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.htm