Date:
Sun, 10 Jun 2012 12:14:30 -0400
All the Harvard study does is prove that at high dosages,  imidacloprid, a
known pesticide, kills bees.
Dictionary.Com states defines a pesticide as: " a chemical used for killing
pests,  esp insects and rodents."

The flaws in the Harvard Study are so  numerous, it takes several pages
just to list them.  But, the key issue is  that their allegation that im
idacloprid causes CCD is based on a specious  (I'd even call it a nonsensical)
hypothesis.

They contend that: US bees  are exposed to imidacloprid in high  fructose
corn syrup."

With respect to accuracy, this hypothesis ranks  with those of  'the world
is flat', the  'moon is made of  cheese', and 'alien abduction causes CCD'.
(Actually, I may be hasty in  dismissing alien abduction).

Even a cursory review would have revealed that:  1) Very little corn  seed
in the US is treated with imidacloprid (estimated at less than 1/2  of 1%),
2) No one has ever reported detectable levels of imidacloprid in  corn syrup
(except for the blogger who says he's seen it, but claims that  analytical
difficulties make it impossible to find labs who can quantify the
concentrations), 3) HFCS is made from milled corn kernels, not corn pollen,  nor
guatation droplets; and FDA monitors pesticides in corn meal  (since you and I
also consume corn) with no reports of any problems with  imidacloprid, and 4)
the process whereby HFCS is made from milled  corn would destroy
imidacloprid, if any, in the early steps of making the  product.

Like Randy, I've also talked to labs who analyze HFCS, and none have ever
seen any HFCS samples with imidacloprid.

The only conceivable ways that imidacloprid were to show up in HFCS is via
someone purposely adding it (as in the case of Harvard researchers),
inadvertent  contamination (such as storing HFCS in a tank that previously held
the  pesticide), or intentional contamination (someone spiked the syrup,
perhaps with  the hopes of being paid damages).

Items 1 and 4 make it clear that very little corn seed is treated  with
imidacloprid in the US, and the even syrup made from corn grown   from that
seed is not going to have any imidacoprid, since the manufacturing  process
would destroy it.  As per the guy who says its there, but the labs  can't
quantify it - that's just B.S.  Lots of labs can analyze HFCS for  imidacloprid -
but the easy answer is - just send the samples to Roger at the  USDA-ARS
Gastonia lab.

All of the other flaws are irrelevant since the whole investigation  is
based on fictional premise, that bees are exposed to imidacloprid in  HFCS.
There just isn't an exposure route whereby this can occur, EXCEPT  when
someone adds it to HFCS.

To me, this study makes no sense at all, but since the investigators don't
seem to be concerned about this apparently insignificant shortcoming, I
expect  them to rapidly move ahead in their endeavors.

I anticipate that the next step will be to spike Haagen Dazs Ice Cream with
 imidacloprid and feed it to bees - after all Haagen Dazs sells ice cream
that  contains honey.   Cows fed corn make milk, and we've already been  told
by Harvard that bees consume HFCS made from corn.  Also, bees are  probably
licking the remains of the honey flavored ice cream out  of discarded
cartoons and being killed.  Of course, finding the volunteers  to test for
adverse harm to humans might be more difficult.

Jerry

Many cases of CCD have occurred in areas other than the corn belt.

Many cases of CCD have been reported by beekeepers who do not feed High
Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS).