From:
David MacFawn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2008 11:10:38 EDT

I guess I am more of an applied research person than a basic research
person.  I must have a slightly different thought on how all this hangs  together.

I believe that bees evolve to meet changing climatic conditions, pest
conditions , food conditions, etc. by the genes that are passed along.   When we
treat, we perpetuate genes that may not be optimal and account for the  weather
changes or pest changes, etc.  Hence, we end up with a lot of  colonies that
cannot live on their own.  This is what I believe  happen when some of you said
the feral bee genes are different than the domestic  genes.  We have done
this for what we say are economic $$ investment  concerns, concerns about food
supply, etc.  The further we go down this  path the more it is going to cost us
in treatment, i.e. just keeping the  colonies alive, and the more uncertain
the bees survival is....i.e. nature is  better at figuring this out than man is.

In the wild, the colonies that cannot adapt dies off and the survivors
perpetuate.....this is the Darwinian outlook.  Hence, the bees adapt to the
changing conditions.  This is true of weather, pests, food,  etc.

I am attaching an article, that I started and never published.  The  second
part of the article is where I analyzed the cost of treatment.  This  was done
two years ago and it shows  the cost of treatment is more than the  cost of
bees.  As we discussed, this cost or savings can be looked at as an  annuity.  I
really believe it should be run out for 20 years and I say that  since it
took 10-15 years to adapt to the tracheal mite and about 18 years  (since about
1990) to adapt to the Varroa mite (it seems our feral colonies are  on the
rebound).   It is cheaper in the long run to let the colonies  die and "graft "
off  the survivors.  Treatment catches up with  you.  Or use the feral colonies
as a gene pool.

In my own operation, I have one colony that I have not treated for anything
for 3 years.  I plan to let the remaining colonies "go wild"  I will  be
looking for feral colonies to add to my stock.  But I am a sideliner not  dependent
on bees for a living.

Case Study
Consider the cost of treating hives in  an outyard.  Keep in mind the
greater the number of hives in the outyard the less cost per hive.  A twenty hives
outyard will be used  since this is the maximum number of hives one typically
wants to work in one  yard.
Mileage cost = cost per mile * total  number of miles
= $0.44/mile * 20 miles one way * 2
= $17.60
Medication cost = varroa treatment  cost + foulbrood treatment cost + Nosema
treatment cost + small hive beetle  treatment cost.
In this example I am going to treat for varroa,
Foulbrood will not be treated since I am monitoring the hives and
only treating as necessary
Nosema will not be treated since I live in the south and this is  not
typically an  issue
Small Hive Beetle will be treated not by medication but by  moving
the hives every 2 months. Moving will break the  Beetle
pupation cycle in the soil around the hive. There is an extra
labor and mileage cost.
Using Sucrocide to treat for Varroa we  have:
Three times every 7-10 days 2.  One pint treats approximately 29 hives  and
cost $19.95   This is  $19.95/29 hives or 0.69/hive.  Each  trip to the outyard
takes approximately 1 hour with another 1 hour for treatment  or 120 minutes
(2.0 hours) total.  For an $8/hour labor rate.
Total treatment cost is (this does not include overhead  costs):
= 20 hives  ($0.69 / hive) + ($0.44/mile * 20 miles one way * 2) 3  trips
+ (2 hours) $8.00/ hour  labor rate
= $13.76  medication treatment cost + $52.8 mileage cost + $16 labor
= $82.56 to  treat for Varroa
Using Mite-Away II for the second  treatment we have:
Page 52 of the 2006 Dadant Catalog, use one pad per 6-20 frames of brood
500F to 790F .  Cost is two 10 pack pails = $34.95 * 2 = $69.90;  20 frames *
2.25/frame = $45.  Total for 20 hives = $69.90 + $45 =  $114.90.  Total treatment
cost  is:
= $114.90 + ($0.44/mile * 20 miles one way * 2) 2 trips + (2 hours)
$8.00/hour labor rate
= $148.5
If we treat for Varroa twice a year  using Sucrocide, this would be $165.12.
Using one Sucrocide treatment and one Mite-Away II treatment would be
$231.06.  Note these numbers will  vary depending on one’s bee operation.  Large
operations with more outyards will incur a larger cost with back  yard operations
only incurring the medication treatment cost and some  labor.
Example Treatment Cost Per  Pound
Assume the hives produce on average 50  lbs with only 17 of the 20 producing.
  This means the outyard will  yield:
50 lbs * 17 hives = 850 lbs  of honey.
The total Sucrocide additional  treatment cost will add :
$82.56 / 850 lb = $0.10/lb to the cost of honey.
This figure would be $0.20 / lb if we treat with Sucrocide twice a year
for Varroa.
For 100 lbs/hive, we would have 1700 lbs  honey.  This would be $165.12/1700
lbs= $0.10 added to a pound of honey for treating twice with Sucrocide and
$100lb/hive yield.  Using 100 pound  hive yield, and treating once with
Sucrocide and once with Mite-Away II would be  $231.06 / 1700 = $0.14/pound
The actual cost may be more if we have  to treat for Foulbrood, Nosema, or
Small Hive Beetle.  Note, this also does not include the  cost of moving hives
for Small Hive Beetle control.  This figure does not cover the overhead  cost
like accountants, extractor operations costs, honey house, woodenware cost,
bottling cost, marketing and distribution cost.
This is an additional $0.10 / lb to  $0.20/ lb off the bottom line
profitability of the bee operation.  This may mean the difference from making  money or
losing money.
Resistant Stock  Worth
If we can obtain bee stock (via  requeening or buying packages) that are
resistant to varroa in this case, we  should be willing to pay extra for those
bees.  Requeening with resistant stock for  existing hives is by far the cheaper
way to go.  If we do this we should be able to save  :
Mileage cost = cost per mile * total number of  miles
Labor cost: 2 hour to requeen 20 hives + 1 hour travel  time
Resistant queens are, $additional resistant queen cost,  more than
standard queens
Savings = $165.12 – ($additional  resistant queen cost  * 20 queens +
($0.44/mile * 20 miles one way * 2) + 3 hour * $8/hour).
= $165.12 – ( $resistant additional  queen cost * 20 + $17.6 + 24)
= ($165.12 – 41.5)/20  =  resistant additional queen cost
= $6.17 = additional resistant queen  cost treating twice with Sucrocide.
for: $231.06 treating once with  Sucrocide and once with Mite-Away II would
be:
= $231.12 – ($additional resistant queen cost * 20 queens + ($0.44/mile *  20
miles * 2) + 3 * $8.00/hour)
= ($231.12 - 41.5)/20
= $9.48 additional resistant queen cost when treating with Sucrocide and
Mite-Away II
In this case we can pay up to $6.17 to  $9.48 more for resistant queens over
nonresistant queens and still save money  the first year.  A savings will be
realized in following years also.  Note this figure is based on an $0.44/mile
rate, 20 miles one way to the  bee yard, a 20 hive bee yard, and an $8/hour
labor rate.  If these figures change, this number  will also change.
Conclusion
The cost of bees and chemicals in the  hive, high gas prices, and labor rates
to name a few are quickly making the  US uncompetitive with our costs; we
can only get so much for our honey due to world competition. Local honey is
different than the world honey.   We should continue working toward  using mite
resistance stock with expensive chemical treatment use only in dire
circumstances and then only until an untreated “survivor” queen can be obtained.  In
the long run, for queen  breeders, B Weaver has the right idea by not using
chemicals and grafting off  the survivors. It is cheaper for the industry for the
queen breeders to graft  off the survivors, and the producers requeen their
hives with the breeder  survivors.  It should be noted that  in order to save
medication cost, the bees cannot require treatment, i.e. they  are resistant not
tolerant.  The  short run will be painful but maybe not as financially
painful as the chemical  route.

FanHouse Fantasy Football today.