From:
Melville Kayton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 15:36:39 +0200
I am in the Western Cape area in South Africa where almost all hives are
constructed from pine wood which is relatively soft and the most cost
effective material.  I have been recommended to treat the hives by dipping
them into a heated mixture of creosote : linseed oil @ 50:50 (hot enough so
that a vapour starts appearing on the surface),for ten minutes.  My question
is, what wood is used to construct your hives and is it a hardwood?  Is
linseed oil enough or should I add the creosote?  Untreated pine wouldn't
last very long at all and I am aware that linseed oil adds strength to wood
but does it protect it from wood boring insects and fungi?

Regards
Mel Kayton