From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 1997 09:08:43 EDT
Regarding LISTSERV postponing postings:

> The distribution of your message... has been postponed because the
> daily message limit for the BEE-L list (50) has been exceeded....

A configuration parameter in LISTSERV sets the number of daily posts
allowed on any given list.  In the beginning, when BEE-L was populated
by researchers and scientists who discussed BEE BIOLOGY, the list owner,
the late Dr. Edward Southwick decided that 50 posts a day should be
enough to handle list traffic.  Even though we have been butting up
against this limit as of late, I see no reason to change this
configuration parameter.  It serves as an enforceable constraint to
limit spurious posts (such as 50 lines of requoted material followed by
"Right on" and a requote of that entire post followed by "Yeah Brother!"

LISTSERV makes no value judgment regarding the content of the post.
50 is 50, no matter what.  And once LISTSERV places a list on hold, it
stays on hold until an administrator/list owner FREEs the list.  Now,
I have never met the other BEE-L owners and I don't know their personal
habits regarding the care and feeding of BEE-L.  I assume they have a
laisez-faire attitude and based on that assumption I configured myself
as a co-owner (I have the ability to do so based on my day job as the
system administrator for the host computer for BEE-L).  My personal
computing habits are M-F, 7 AM to 3 PM and I purposely DO NOT have
access from home to assure that I have a life outside of the office.
I'm also taking tomorrow off to enjoy my bees and harvest some honey.
So if the list is placed on hold some time between 3 PM this afternoon
and 7 AM Monday morning I assume it will stay on hold until Monday
morning.

So PLEASE folks, consider what you post before you post it.  Is it bees
or is it merely conversation?  Is it list worthy or can it be better
addressed to an individual?  If it's intended for BEST-OF, send it the
BEST editor and don't clutter this list.

What follows is an example of what I consider to be an INappropriate
post.  I know Vince will get a kick out of it.  I know there are a good
number of subscribers who will get a kick out of.  I 'spect it will
offend Eunice (sorry Eunice, please don't read any further!).  What
I SHOULD do is cherry pick from the list of subscribers those who will
get a chuckle and send it to them individually, but that's too much work
and ultimately I should spare the list and keep the thought to myself.
It's not bees, it's not list worthy, it's merely conversation.
But since I'm going to use one of today's allowed 50 posts for the
above, and since I can disguise it as an explanation of how I feel the
list should or should not be used, I'll post it anyway.

Vince Coppola posts:

> ... in the study that started all this, only 20% of the affected
> babies had been fed honey and 80% had been breast fed, but honey
> got the black eye.

OH NO, TELL ME IT AIN'T SO!!!  Please tell me that breasts don't cause
botulism!!!

Comments to [log in to unmask] please.  Spare BEE-L.

Aaron Morris - thinking this pontification would have been more
               effective if I stopped at line 34.