From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 1997 16:00:11 -0500
On  9 Sep 97 at 9:45, Mike Pheysey wrote:

> CARNAGE! - Absolute carnage, there must be at least one or two
> thousand dead bees lying on the ground in front of the hive along
> with the shredded newspaper.  A carpet 10" by 14" of little bodies,
> all with their tounges extended, stropping in submission? or a
> response to being stung to death?  What a sad sight - what did I do
> wrong?
>
> At it seems that I have just managed to wipe out half the entire
> population of one of my colonies, is there anything I can do to
> redress the loss?  How about feeding heavily to stimulate the queen
> to lay additional eggs as we still have 2 or 3 more weeks to go
> before the first frosts begin to bite.

It's very difficult trying to keep track of every question that one
answers.
        I don't understand the extended tongues, and so many dead bodies.
On uniting a hive it is rare to have so many dead bees, I am
suspicious and would suggest other problems.
        As to increased feeding, IMHO it is too late in the season to make a
major difference to the hive population.

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Dr, Unit 2,
Orillia, Ontario, L3V 6H1
Phone/fax  705-326-7171
David Eyre, Owner.