From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 May 2013 18:05:24 -0400
>Joe commented about no swarms.

Karen,
This years swarm season is worse than
1997 ( those in PA and parts of the north
east might recall how bad the few years
after the winter of 95-96 were).

Only one swarm call for me here in SW PA
It was a 4 lb prime swarm.

In the bee yard,,,
New colonies from last season all perished
over winter.  Mature colonies survived
winter quite well and are productive.

Same observations on feral colony
removals I did this season.  Mature colones
2 plus years old survived winter well,
and showed evidence of swarming off.
1 year feral colonies were either dead
or in such poor condition, swarming would
have been unlikely this season.

Best Wishes
Joe Waggel
Historical Honeybee Articles