From:
Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 2008 22:40:37 -0400
Waldemar

"I am wondering if the package industry is spreading something out there".

In the idea of a source for the spread of CCD, there is a very interesting
letter in the ABJ of March 2008. The letter is from Ko Zoet from the
Netherlands and he makes a conecction between Primorsky "russian" bees,
Nosema ceranae and CCD
.
"They have developed a degree of resistance against Nosema ceranae. At the
same time, they are the intermediary between Apis cerana and other mellifera
bees by transmitting Nosema ceranae"

If one thinks that a colony - because the queen mates with 15-20 drones - is
a set of subfamilies (each dougthers of a given drone) one may think that
the resistance to CCD/NosemaC must come from the father side, and therefore,
the subfamilies that dwindle in winter come from the non resistance one, but
the ones that are left with the queen are resistant stock. How ever this
queen is non resistant. We can not breed from this survivers, we need to
develop a method to grade the resistance.

--
Juanse Barros J.
APIZUR S.A.