From:
Keith Malone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Oct 2005 20:46:10 -0800
Hi Allen,

> we did feed if we took too much honey

Hind sight?

> How do you "enable poor genetics by feeding sugar syrup to them"?

Somethings I will never be able to explain to some people, it is like a drug that keeps sick people alive past their time. In the case of bees if they can not bring it in to survive, in nature their genetics would die off and not be there to pollute the pool. Hard huh.

> Is there some sort of genetic trigger that is set off by a bag of sugar?

Yes, a bad genetic trigger.

> If "local conditions" include regular feedings, not feeding would be
> illogical -- IMO.

So is taking to much Honey, but if left enough and colonies managed with dearth in mind the local condition would be dealt with better than having to feed because of miss-management. I have a seven month dearth up here but, without feeding at all I have seen the strongest colonies I have ever seen winter to spring and make splits and honey the following summer. Unlimited broodnest management deals with dearth. Hard again, huh.

> Maybe for an idealistic hobbyist living in a perfect world, but not in my
> world, and not with my banker.

The world is not perfect and I do not rely on bankers because bankers are set up for the bank not me. But really this has absolutely nothing to do with real beekeeping in the real world of keeping bees, breeding bees and harvesting honey. Depending on a banker to dictate your beekeeping, Huh. I am working with bees not bankers. Sorry.

> Actually I bought the stock
> in question, then replaced it after it was not making me money and, frankly,
> breeding from it would have been a waste of time.

Maybe, maybe not. They probably just needed care and work you or your banker did not have the patience to deal with.

> Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without
> integrity is dangerous and dreadful.
>             -- Samuel Johnson

Statement worth analyzing.

 . ..   Keith Malone, Chugiak, Alaska USA, http://www.cer.org/,