From:
Debbie Hutchings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Oct 1997 11:10:16 -0500
Hi!
I hope this is what you were looking for.

In a message dated 97-10-20 11:35:03 EDT, [log in to unmask] (MIKE
ALLSOPP) writes:

<< Fruit producers (apples & pears) in South Africa have, for the first
 time this year, sprayed Penncap-M (microencapsulated methyl
 parathion) on their crops. Which has resulted in quite a bit of bee
 mortality, and quite a furore. Looking through the literature I have
 found that much the same occurred in the USA (and Australia?) in the
 early 1980's, but there is not much reported since the mid-1980's.>>

   The losses continue.  Several beekeepers had some severe losses earlier
this season in SC from peach orchard applications where there was clover in
bloom in the orchard floor. This, of course is a violation of the label
directions.

   Beekeepers who don't know the law, and are not assertive will get no help.
So many have gotten cynical and don't do anything. Beekeepers who insist on
enforcement CAN get help, albeit very reluctantly. It is an uphill fight.

 <<Can anyone help me with any of the following questions?

 (1) Is Penncap-M still used in the USA, Europe, Australia - and on
 what crops?>>

   Yes, it is used a lot in the fruit industry. Sometimes it is used at petal
fall, where it can do massive damage to bees, if the grower "jumps the gun"
and there is still bloom. I know one beekeeper who was put out of business
from losing about 400 hives this way, seven or eight years ago.

   Then it may be used again in the last week of June or the first week of
July for a broad-spectrum control of several pests. Here the bloom that draws
bees is clover, or other weeds that are blooming under the trees. In both
cases, such use is a violation of the label.

   It is also used a lot with alfalfa hay. The hay is supposed to be cut,
then the material used, with no bloom present. This is not always followed.
If there is bloom, the damage can be massive -- again from a violation.

   It's used on sweet corn, which can draw bees to the tassels for pollen.
The damage worsens on late corn when aerial applications contaminate
goldenrod around the fields.  Both types of kills result from violations of
the label directions.

<< (2) What are the spray conditions (pertaining to bees) for its use?>>

   Like every pesticide that is toxic to bees, the labels give specific
directions for the protection of the FORAGING bees. Applicators often ignore
this. They are only concerned if they see beehives. If they are on an
adjacent property, they often don't care.

   It is very difficult to get enforcement. Beekeepers don't have much clout.
But the shortage of bees is helping some. We are getting action in some
cases. Wherever we have gotten a citation or two, the other applicators take
more care -- for a while....And apple growers are doing a bit better on
orchard floor management - getting rid of bloom that draws bees - because
they have to rent bees for pollination; the supply is down and the price is
up, so they are more prone to listen.

   But.....when a pest that the grower can see is munching away on leaves or
fruit, and the grower sees dollars going down the drain, the tendency is to
forget about the bees -- until they need them again.

 <<(3) Are there still honeybee losses due to Penncap-M?>>

   Yes and they are bad ones when they come. Bees that show any visible
damage during the growing season, will show more damage again during winter -
often the whole hive will die. Contaminated pollen is stored in the cells,
and covered with fresh pollen, so the hive appears to recover. Later, when
there is no fresh pollen to dilute the contamination, they are more
vulnerable, and they die out.

   You can take nice spring nucs, with a young queen going like gangbusters,
put a frame of that pollen from a Penncap deadout right beside the brood, and
immediately you'd think the queen was failing. The brood becomes very spotty,
because some of it dies and is carried out.

   Beekeepers who are hit by Penncap M (trademark) need to somehow remove as
much of that contaminated pollen as possible. Even hives that survive will be
weak and unproductive the following spring. Often the pollen is concentrated
mostly on a couple frames. These should be removed as soon after the damage
as possible.

  But beekeepers need to be alert to prevent damage, rather than try to
salvage the bees afterwards. There needs to be a strong educational effort to
make applicators realize they have to wait until FULL PETAL FALL, and to
practice good orchard floor management during clover and other weed bloom.
Nothing but grass sod should be allowed to grow/bloom in the orchard floor.
Otherwise they are set up for violations and consequent bee kills.

   A lot of beekeepers would like to see Penncap M banned. I doubt that is a
possible option, It is too valuable a tool for growers.  But, I've seen
hundreds of bee kills from Penncap M, Sevin, Furadan, Lindane, and many other
materials, and never seen one that didn't result from a violation of the
label directions.

   A camcorder is a good tool to show violations as they occur, then a couple
citations will stop the problem for a while.

 Needed:
1. Beekeepers who are not wimps, who know the law.
2. Pesticide enforcers of integrity who will enforce the law.
3. Agricultural officials who will teach applicators how to monitor for
foraging bees on the application sites PRIOR to application.  - and tell them
they will lose their certification, pay fines, and be liable for damage if
they don't.

   Then bee kills will drop to negligible.

    I am presuming your pesticide laws are similar.

[log in to unmask]   Dave Green  Hemingway, SC  USA
The Pollination Scene:   http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html