From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 06:59:44 -0400
This message  was originally  submitted by [log in to unmask]  to
the
BEE-L list at LISTSERV.ALBANY.EDU.  It was edited to remove extraneous
signature
attachments.

----------------- Original message (ID=EC41115C) (59 lines)
-------------------
From: "Blocher, David" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: pesticides on corn/cucumber pollination fees
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 13:00:08 -0400

Hello all!

I live in Connecticut, and felt lucky to find a five hundred acre farm in
Fairfield County that has 130 acres in pasture.  However, I have had growing
apprehension during the past few weeks, as the farmer will be spraying
pesticides on his corn multiple times this summer.  He will be using Lanate,
Larvin, and one called Warrior.  One stand of hives is very near the corn,
the other is about half a mile away.  I know that all of these are highly
toxic to bees, and wanted to know if it is still possible to keep bees on
the property if the hives are located a certain distance from the corn, the
issues being drift of the pesticide and spraying attractive nectar/pollen
plants near the corn.  Any experience with these pesticides, or similar
situations?  I am ready to move the hives if necessary, or close them up
during spraying (how effective is merely closing them up?). I have never
experienced loss to pesticides, and do not want to begin now.

Also, can anybody give me an idea on fees for pollinating cucumbers and
squash?  I have a prospect with about 25 acres combined of both plants, and
do not know what the going rate is here or anywhere else.  Anything to watch
out for?  I believe the cucumbers will be hand-picked over many weeks.

Thanks for all help,

David Blocher

Any direct responses please send to [log in to unmask]  (I'm sending this
from work, since email from home doesn't work at present--hope this message
doesn't get bounced!)