From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2007 16:00:23 -0500
allen dick wrote:

> What we have to remember is that food promotion is not a new thing.
> The original food processors are the flour mills, and that they found
> that if they stripped much of the nutrition from grains to make an
> addictive, ultimately dangerous food which is predominantly just a
> simple starch (flour) from what started out being a healthy food, add
> a bit of mystique, and hire Norman Rockwell, they could make far more
> money than they could growing wheat.
Milling to get white bread started in Egypt around 1000BC, so it is
difficult to blame the more recent "them" or, in this case, "they". The
reason the Egyptians milled to was not to reduce the nutrients, since
the Egyptians were a few centuries behind in setting up the FDA or USDA,
but to insure purity of the product which the consumer wanted. If it was
white, then nothing else was added. It actually was more difficult to
make it, so the whiter the bread, the better it was thought to be and
the more expensive it became. Poor folk ate the cheap dark bread and the
rich the expensive white. It has only been recently that dark bread
became popular (as well as the white bread myth that "they" did it) and
is now more expensive than white! Just think when poor folk could
finally afford white bread. It was more a sign of the affluence of
America than any conspiracy to destroy people's health.

In one paragraph, totally off the subject of beekeeping, you have, and I
appreciate it, validated my concern on keeping to beekeeping, which at
least we have a modicum of knowledge and more than enough opinion.

Bill Truesdell (who now wears a tinfoil hat while he reads the bee list
and munches on his white bread with "them".)
Bath, Maine