From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jun 2014 07:09:32 -0400
> I fail to see the importance of disparaging scientists without degrees.

I wanted to make it very clear that criticism posted here on Bee-L is not
exactly as "credible" as the example I showed where Judy Chen et al
published a paper, a critique was published, and a rebuttal to the critique
was published.    The big difference is not so much the forum used, but in
the amount of detail offered by all parties, and the neutral tone used in
the journals.

> The role of the citizen scientist has increased, not lessened.
> Beekeepers especially have been avidly pursuing science in
> their role as caretakers of the primary pollinator of the world.

Then sign up and  do some science!

Sign up here: http://bugonia.com and participate in the first broadly-based
research project where everyone can have their hives become data points.
Tell Izzy (the queen bug at bugonia) that Fischer sent ya.

First up is a nematode study for the control of Small Hive Beetles.
Because they are difficult to distribute, like many "biologicals", one needs
a certain minimum number of participating hives in an area to make shipping
a flask of nematodes worthwhile, so this one is a "club-level"
effort.

More interesting things are sure to follow.
I hope to have 100% of the NYC gang participating in all these things, as it
encourages the "keep a notebook" dictum.

But the role of "citizen science" can be whatever you want it to be.  Sadly,
aside from Astronomy, (where a big chunk of the observations of note are
made by amateurs), in other fields, it is difficult to do much serious
science without a significant investment in both time and gear.   The days
of the stereotypical upper-crust gentleman who dabbles in being a
"naturalist" were over before our grandparents were born.