From:
Linda Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 1997 11:34:14 -0400
I'm going to jump right in. Please excuse me if I am violating any rules of the group. This is my first day on the list and I haven't been able to find my answer elsewhere.

First of all, I don't have bees, yet but I am concerned about the ones I will be getting in the spring.

A farmer down the road has a wild hive of honey bees that have been making their home in the casing to a transmission of an abandoned bulldozer on the edge of the woods. I've been keeping an eye on them, looking for a swarm, since retrieval would be difficult to impossible as they enter through one small screw hole. We recently noticed many bees on the outside of the rusted casing. I looked closer and noticed that many (90%) of the bees outside the hive have no wings. A friend says they are deformed from varroa mite infestation and that the colony will be dead in a month. This saddens me but of more concern is what happens to the mites?

Will the mites still be alive and well and eager if my new colony comes to this spot to rob honey from the dozer transmission. Should I leave these bees to die or should I try to do something. It seems the bees are doomed but I am most worried about the proliferation of the varroa mites. Any suggestions or experience on the subject would be appreciated.

Thanks and apologies if this in inappropriate.

Linda Campbell
Suffolk, VA
On the border or the Great Dismal Swamp