From:
"Frank I. Reiter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 15:38:14 -0400
Dee Lusby wrote:

> I now ask:
> So how does one then successfully stop the treatments and
> get the residues out of the colonies?

If each generation of new queens exhibits increased ability to resist the
mites, then there should come a point when the bees will simply not need the
chemical support that they need today.

> Since it probably cannot be done overnight, can you explain the steps for
> successfully accomplishing this?

I imagine that the next significant step might be treating only when the
bees need it, rather than according to the calendar.  One could then breed
from those colonies that need it least often, and after a time, one hopes,
there will be colonies that are simply not getting treated because they have
not hit the mite threshold at which treatment is applied.

> I don't want to seem
> picky, but clean pure honey, what with the china scare
> staying in my mind, and I am sure others's also.

I think most of us want this same thing Dee - I know that I do.  When I look
around at all the different projects aimed at dealing with the mite problem,
it is the various breeding projects (SMR, Russians, others) that give me the
most hope. The requisite traits already exist in various honeybee
populations, and various projects seem to show clearly that it *is* possible
to select for this behaviour using methods we already have.

> Also is there a way for backing off of coumaphos
> successfully too?

I don't see this approach as being specifically related to any particular
chemical.  The point is to breed a bee that does not require chemical
assistance, no?

Frank.
-----
The very act of seeking sets something in motion to meet us;
something in the universe, or in the unconscious responds as if
to an invitation.  - Jean Shinoda Bolen

http://WWW.BlessedBee.ca