From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jun 2006 12:18:47 -0400
>I don't know if it is unusual, but I use wood stove pellets.  It is a pain
>to get started, I use a propane torch.

I guess they're pretty commonly used these days. I started using them about
1999 when I went to work at the Dyce Lab. We used white pine needles to
start the smoker, and once it was lit, we added large handfulls of hardwood
pellets.

During damp seasons when dry pine needles became difficult to obtain, I
started collecting burlap sacks to use to start the smoker. A small strip
was adequate to get it going and then add pellets.

The chief disadvantage of pellets is you have to buy them and a lot of
beekeepers prefer to get smoker fuel for free. Also, they must be kept dry
or they turn back into sawdust.

Speaking of  burlap, it tends to burn a little too fast when used alone.
However you can greatly extend the life of a piece of burlap if you throw a
handful of burr comb on top of it. The resulting smoke is very dense, cool,
and seems to really put 'em to sleep.

pb