From:
Dirk Emde <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 23 Apr 1995 21:22:40 +600
I wish to add something to this;

 [log in to unmask] (John D Schneider):
>First of all, I love beekeeping, and have the highest regard for it,
both as a profession and as a hobby.  But I sense a great deal of

>Sure, beekeeping has it's problems, from AHB to mites to pesticides to
regulation, and research will need to be done if these problems are going to

   I won't flame you; you raise some good points, and I am  inclined to agree
with you on philosophical grounds. But you are missing a couple of very
relevant input points.

   Agriculture in general, and beekeeping in specific, have not shared in the
benefits of modern America in true proportion to the contribution they make.

Totally true. This is the case for all those who have been consumed
with the quality of their work, rather than the quantity. The people
benefitting the most contribute the least.
   I have always been skeptical of doomsday prophets. But today I am
convinced that we will see famine in America (and probably other areas that
That is what it will take to get the public's attention. If your
benefits  don't measure up, refuse to deliver the goods.

   Every year we have more parasites and fewer producers. There are those who
are capable, but content to let society support them; there are also those
who rake off rewards far in excess of their real contribution.  Too many
parasites kill the host.  Think about it.
Again, let the parasites produce their own honey, shoes, bicycles,
whatever, then we'll talk again.

   As I said, couldn't the producers be tossed a few crumbs?
Asking for a few crumbs got the producers into this mess. Demand your
fair share or close shop. That's the only language understood. There
can be no compromise. Let's get back to the America where the
craftsperson was the most valued, not the banker or shopkeeper.
Anyone can sell something, but just let them try producing something
from what nature gives us to work with.
When I see what sports people make while farmers are going bankrupt
I get very angry.
Enough said, or maybe too much already.

Ciao, Dirk

                    Dirk Emde