Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Oct 2005 13:46:35 GMT
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (34 lines)
>>...a foundationless system ... nearly forces you to manage each hive individually.

I am not a commercial beekeeper so I don't mind.  I'd even number all the frames and observe their relative orientation.

Scot, is yours a vertical or a horizontal hive?  Do you use frames or top bars?  Sorry, I don't recall.

>>When the bees are allowed to design their own
broodnest structure, the beekeeper is limited in his/her choices.

I believe bees know best. :)  And I am not looking to break records for honey production.

>>Dee might ... explain how she discovered the benefits of small cell
beekeeping by using foundationless systems, including top bar hives for observation purposes.

Dee, have you ever used frames for a natural nest or heard of frames being used in a vertical set-up?

I'd like to learn how to ensure the bees draw out somewhat straight combs in empty frames in a double-deep nest.  Imperfections or holes in the comb are not of concern to me.

Bees start from from the top and work downwards.  I can provide a solid bead of wax under each top bar.  Here are my questions:

1. Should they be given 2 deeps with 20 empty frames?

2. Will the gap between the frames of the 2 deeps disturb the natural nest pattern?

3. Perhaps a single, taller-than-Langstrogh deep is the way?

4. Should one inspect occasionally and remove and comb sections that are not straight?

I will try this next spring but would like hear of their experiences from folks who may have already tried it.

Waldemar

-- Visit www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l for rules, FAQ and  other info ---

ATOM RSS1 RSS2