Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 21:25:29 EDT
Jennifer,
My credentials first.  This is my 69th year of beekeeping, with apiaries
having never
less than 50 colonies and up to 135 colonies.  I kept Italians for the first
15 years, and then switched to Carniolans 53 years ago.

You should NEVER remove an inner cover without a lighted smoker close by!
Note, I
did not say "using it", but said "Lighted and close by"  You never know when
you are going to need it, and in an emergency, a minute delay while you are
trying to light it might mean a disaster.

I often work my Carnies without smoke, and even without a veil, BUT NEVER
without
a lighted smoker at arm's length.

Most people just don't seem to know how to PACK a smoker to keep it lit.
Burlap is an excellent fuel, one of my favorites, but it must be PACKED to
stay lit, and to get a nice COOL, white smoke.  You don't want a blue smoke
or flame.  The way to pack
a smoker, is light a small piece, drop it in the smoker, and blow it good and
hard until you really have a good fire going, then drop in a larger piece,
blow on it until it starts to burn, then another larger piece and start
packing down a little as you
blow a little, then a much larger piece, blow a little and pack it down, and
finally
fill the smoker, and pack it down.  This should last 1-2 hours.

If you have dried pine needles in Oregon, they are the Number 1 smoker fuel
in my
opinion: very easy to light, packs easily, and gives a COOL white smoke.

I hope I have helped.

George Imirie
EAS Certified Master Beekeeper