From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 2009 10:25:43 -0600
Hello Bill & All,

 >Bob, can you or others elaborate on current thoughts on oxalic
application?

The treatment removes most mites not killed with the fall treatment. Best
used on a day with a temp around 60F. when the bees are broodless. Correct
measurement is very important  as far as the OA /syrup mixture. Some use
water and some say to use only distilled water. I have only used syrup.

>'Tis almost the season for me to apply

My bees may not get a treatment as I have had problems the last week. First
with my truck I use to move bees breaking down ( now repaired) and a bout
with a head cold which needs over with by my surgery time tomorrow ( hernia)
. If had been a normal season I would have applied today and tomorrow as the
weather would have been perfect and most hives broodless. Being the eternal
optimist I believe I will still get a chance later on.

Broodless is the key to a successful OA application Bill.

 > Do you use a pipette to get the proper dose?

I use a 60 mil syringe ( available from a vet less than a buck a piece)
without the needle. I have around 20 of these and fill all before I start.
Then quickly open the hive and dribble 35 ml over the hive giving approx. 5
ml per seam.  The later it gets the less likely I will use OA as not wanting
to break the seal on the hive lid.

>What is your current recipe for oxalic?

My recipe is out in the building so will direct you to either Randy Oliver's
or Allen Dicks web sites. I have a figure in mind but do not want to guess.

You do need to measure the OA powder correctly as well as the syrup you mix
with the OA powder.
I have never used wood bleach as sold by hardware stores but many beekeepers
do and seem satisfied with the results. The pure oA powder can be ordered
from Wintersun Chemical which advertizes each month in ABJ. I can privately
email if you need Bill. I do not want this post rejected as advertising.

On the *other* beekeeping list the subject of OA use has been discussed
frequently and in great detail.

Some large beeks even use a hand sprayer to apply I have been told. Dr.
Marion Ellias has shared his experiments with OA for years at bee meetings
and I think on the U.of Nebraska web site. Dr. Ellias has told me personally
that if applied correctly at different times OA alone can control varroa.
Possibly with hives on a permanent location but in my opinion would not
control varroa all year in my hives.

bob