From:
Mike Pheysey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 1997 14:40:57 +0100
Hi,

I wish to unite two colonies but my circumstances do not match those
mentioned in Ted Hooper's "Guide to Bees and Honey", can you help this
beginner? - Thanks.

Ted's book says that you should first kill the poorer queen, let them
settle down, then place them on top of queen right colony with pricked
newspaper in between.  I want to do the reverse, unite on the site of
the poorer colony and put the queen right colony on top of the queen
culled colony.  Is this okay to do??

Cheers, Mike Pheysey.
Oldbury-on-Severn, Bristol, UK
(100 miles west of London)

PS: I assume the resident colony is always left on the bottom of a
    united pair to make sure that any flying bees return directly to
    their own colony?