From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Mar 2011 14:17:32 -0400
Any credible info available concerning the 'first arrival'
of a. scutellata in the U.S.A, on a cargo ship
in the early 70's ?

Also, I'm researching the etymology for the term
'killer bees'.  It has been remarked that  Apis
mellifera scutellata are so called killer bees due
to their habit of attacking Italian and German
bees for no apparent reason, killing off hive
after hive, but I have no credible reference
to this remark.

If the above is true, it might suggest the term
did not derive from 'abelhas assassinas'
-Portuguese which translates 'bees murderesses'
and appears to have been first used in military
press releases in 1965, some 9 years after the
introduction of a. scutellata into Brazil.

Best Wishes,
Joe Waggle
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/HistoricalHoneybeeArticles/