Date:
Sun, 10 May 2009 18:03:51 EDT

In a message dated 10/05/2009 13:30:59 GMT Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

In fact  in time, I fully expect there will be an
adapted AHB living in the cold  cold north sometime down the road-unless we
totally destroy the planet  first.

There already is. It's called Apis mellifera mellifera. It made its way
from Africa via what is now the straights of Gibraltar many thousands of years
 ago and made its way north via Spain and France.  It retreated during the
last ice age but advanced again as the ice retreated about 10,000 years ago
 crossing the English Channel before it was one becoming the native bee
here in  the UK. Different strains of the same stock cross northern Europe as
far as the  Urals.

Chris