From:
Mark Berninghausen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jan 2014 21:15:25 -0500
That would be too bad J. I would like to know more about what you have to say on the subject. I don't know much myself. I spent 5 years working in the 18th Century, sort of. I worked at Colonial Williamsburg and learned about 18th Century beekeeping from the Research Library and the VA Gazette Classifieds and what I could find listed in Wills filed in VA during the 18th Century.

You mentioned the wealthy and how less well of folks had little access to books especially books on beekeeping. Weren't the wealthy the ones who could read and had time to read? Other than learning how to work like 18th century craftsmen and women we didn't learn a whole lot about folks who weren't well off or slaves.

My wife worked in the Wythe House Kitchen. What she had to say about the Cook Books of the time is that none of them had honey in them at all. Sugar was the prefered sweetener during that time. People who cooked for themselves may have used honey for sweetening their food, but I bet most honey was made into mead.

Beeswax was listed by a Colonial Governor amongst a number of other things as Colonial Products. The wax was shipped to Mediera.

Thomas Jefferson and George Washington were known to have books on bees and bees on their plantations.

Were you to stick around and discuss it J. Waggle what would you want to talk about?