From:
dave general <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Nov 1998 18:29:01 PST
Hello List,
This behavior of recruiting sisters to take a bee mite is charactersitc
of the Asian honeybee, Apis cerana. This bee has many behavioral
similarities with the A. mellifera. The varroa mite was originally a
parasite of cerana, until the mite latched on to a bee with no
behavioral defense. And has since spread worldwide.
The problem with cerana in this country is its propensity to abscond,
even with apparently optimum conditions. This survivalist behavior is
very strong and has discouraged many researchers who would try to breed
it out.
Each island in our archipelago appears to have its own inbred strain.
This presents the opportunity to outcross lines from different islands
to see if the absconding behavior can be reduced, or if the honey
production can be increased. I'm going to try a bit of outcrossing on a
small island off Mindanao with strains from other islands.
Dave General
Cagayan de Oro City
Philippines