From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 09:38:02 -0700
> As I understand matters, diffusion theory would apply only in a
> situation where there is no air movement... a factor the
> mathematician should bring into consideration.

Well, I am still waiting for Jerry to further illuminate what was meant by the
question he asked.  Until we know what specific statement of diffusion theory is
being suggested, responses must necessarily be very general and somewhat
speculative.

But, making assumptions, I would guess that any diffusion theory would
necessarily have to have terms for dealing with currents or analogous factors
such as heat source, light direction, etc..

>From what I know about math is that there are often terms in equations that are
assumed to be zero in many cases and left out of simple statements, but are
available in special cases such as where wind, magnetism, gravity, or analogous
factors are significant.  Sometimes such terms are discovered and added after
the original work is done and the familiar formula is found to be a special case
or approximation to a more general and comprehensive formula.

> Early on, von Frisch also concluded that something such as
> diffusion theory would not apply.

Are we now finally in agreement with von Frisch?

allen