From:
Ian Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 1996 21:23:33 -0500
On Fri, 1 Nov 1996, Garrett Dodds wrote:

> Brian Hensel Wrote:
>
> They reported that apistan is the
> >only thing available to fight against varroa, which I think is
> >inaccurate.  They didn't mention anything about essential oil research,
> >or the possible breeding varroa resistant bee's.  I think that this is
> >the real answer.  If we can somehow breed bee's to have a grooming
> >habit, where they will groom each other, then the varroa won't have a
> >chance to get started, even in those bee's that swarm.

  <snip>

> I think what the News report ment by "Apistan is the only thing Available
> to fight against vorroa", is that it is the only legal and proven means to
> fight vorroa.  Essential oils is just an experimental solution right now
> more reseach and work needs to be carried out before we can say that it
> really works.
> Garrett Dodds

I know this has been spoken of before on the list, but there is another
treatment for Varroa as well as Tracheal mites here in Canada.  And that
is Formic acid.  I was just wondering how things are going elsewhere as
far as having this valuable treatment legalized.  While breeding is
probably the best defence, we need some effective treatments in the
meantime...:)

                     @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
                    @        Ian Watson           @
                 @  THREE BEES:                      @