From:
Allen McCaw <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 20 Sep 1997 15:07:59 +0000
On 19 Sep 97 at 22:33,Tim Sterret wrote:

> Subject:       Inner Covers

> Does anyone have a trick for keeping inner covers from being damaged. I do
> try to clear the propolis with a hive tool before I do any lifting.

I don't know if this will work for inner covers or not, but one small
trick some beekeepers  have used for comb honey supers to prevent the
bees sticking frames together between supers - with consequent damage
to valuable comb when you prise them apart - is to smear a THIN coat
of  medical-grade petroleum jelly across the top bars of one super
and also the bottom bars of the next one on top.

This seems to discourage the bees from placing wax - and maybe
propolis on these surfaces - at least for the period of a honey-flow.
No doubt, if they are determined to do so, the "little darlings" will
glue things together in time.

It might work for your boards - no guarantees !  We have noted that
laminated plywood covers do peel apart over time - as much from a bit
of moisture in the hive as anything.    Here in NZ, most beekeepers
use a high density compressed fibre wallboard sheet called
"hardboard" for inner covers.  They can collect a liberal amount of
wax and propolis sometimes too, but they do not de-laminate when you
lift them off, and are easily scraped clean in the field.

As an aside - speaking of petroleum jelly - or "Vaseline" as it is
known here.       Did you hear the story about the newly - married,
young couple who didn't know the difference between Vaseline and
glazing  putty ??
  Naturally -  all their windows fell out when the sun shone !
Allen McCaw,  Milburn Apiaries Ltd.
R.D.2, Milton, South Otago,  New Zealand.
Ph/FAX:  (0064) 3417-7198.
E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]