From:
William Lord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 2013 10:04:03 -0400
Hey Randy;

I am surprised no one has risen to your bait to design a better mite
washer......  I went to the local Wal Mart and prowled the kitchen and
house ware shelves.  I looked hard at a flour sifter - it has double
screens and 2 layers of agitators - but I think it would grind up the bees
rather than stir them gently ( was it James Bond who says 'stirred, not
shaken'?  Naming potential there.....).  I looked at all manner of plastic
drinking glass 'tumblers' but alas, none have tops.  Question:  Is a top
really necessary?  If not, I think I could take a set of the heavy but
flexible plastic drinking tumblers and cut the bottom off one so it nests
in the whole tumbler.  I think I will try to jam a mason jar lid down
inside the cut-off tumbler to hold the screen wire in place rather than
'heat weld' the wire to the bottom of the tumbler.  I can seal the sides of
the jar lid with caulk I think.  I will go back when I have time and prowl
the automotive section.  And there is also Target.....

I always thought one of the biggest appeals of beekeeping is the shear
number of gadgets and weird equipment beekeepers use and the opportunity to
rig things up that might work....

keep looking!
Bill