From:
Andy Nachbar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Nov 1997 11:00:27 -0800
Hello Dr. M.Afzali,

I can't send you any papers only report on what I have seen in the past in my
own bee yards in removing bees to make package bees.

It is quite common to find one or more queens in the spring when shaking
bees for packages. It has been said by some that one is an old queen and
the other
a young one, but not necessarily a virgin but two or more mated queens.

As the season advances here in California the number of hives that have
more then one queen increases as do the number that have one or more queen
cells.
In fact in the late summer after the swarming season it is common to find a
sealed queen cell in many hives that appear to have healthy productive queens.
I believe and have found queens that appeared to be healthy and laying in
different parts of the hive more then once and am believe that this is not
unusual here.

Most beekeepers are told and believe that the hive will only tolerate one
queen at a time and queens will seek each other out and fight to the death.
This may be the norm but what I have seen in my hives makes it appear that
this is not always the case and just maybe two or more queens can function
together under the same roof.

All this suggests that maybe two queens can assume the same hive odor but
that's only a wild guess and I have yet to find a method to introduce that
2nd queen alone into a hive that has a queen other then by using a nuc with
a laying queen and even then I like most beekeepers have always believed
that only one queen will survive after a short period of time. This would
be a easy experiment for any beekeepers to do using marked queens and
starting the experiment during different seasons of the year and maybe
someone has done it and will share with the group.

ttul, the OLd Drone
IMHO