Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Aug 2016 18:32:47 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
a Richard Cryberg snip.... followed by my comment..
I got a PhD in chem.  Fischer got a PhD in physics.  We probably have an MD bee keeper on the list.  And a lawyer.  I will practice chemistry where I am educated and refrain from practicing physics, medicine and law.

> the stumbling block seem to be what happens in a lab vs what happens in the real worldk.  I don't think it should take a person with 4 or 5 degrees to recognize the difference but then again much of this conversation is way over this simple beekeeper head.  

The reason to use butyric anhydride to remove bees from supers instead of butyric acid is obvious to a chemist.  It only takes a very small amount of butyric acid to do the job. 

>a point well made that at least this economist can easily understand the practical application of this idea.

I would expect any chemist who had any significant experience to conclude butyric anhydride would be a good butric acid source to test and determine effectiveness in removing bees from a super given that butric acid and other short chain aliphatic acids were known to do this job.  I have had people report to me that had a BS or MS in physics and based on that small sample I would not expect a physicist to know enough basic chemistry to get thru that logic process.  I would also not expect an MD or lawyer to know that basic chemistry either.  That is why companies hire more than one technical expert to work on their projects.  Companies need a variety of skills, not just one skill.

>perhaps your sample size is too small?  I have a father in law that is not only a physicist of some note but also pretty good in understanding basic chemistry.  I often go to him when my understanding of basic chemistry needs polishing.   Due to some of his APPLICATION of basic physics he was also Chemical Engineering man of the year back in the mid 50's.  Perhaps my sample size of one is just too small? 

This has gotten way too far from the purpose of this list which is bees.  Bee keepers do not need to be chemists.  So, I will refrain from further comment on this topic.

>I totally agree.

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2