From:
Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jul 2013 19:37:00 -0400
http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-oregon-pesticides-restricted-20130626,0,3014501.story

By Devin Kelly

June 27, 2013, 4:49 p.m.

State officials in Oregon are temporarily restricting the use of more than
a dozen pesticide products following the deaths of an estimated 50,000
bumblebees in the Portland area this month.

The measure, effective immediately, will last for 180 days while the Oregon
State Agricultural Department investigates incidents of a mass bee die-off
in the Portland suburb of
Wilsonville<http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-bumble-bees-die-in-oregon-20130621,0,1466945.story>,
and a much smaller die-off in neighboring Hillsboro.

Eighteen pesticide products containing the active
ingredient dinotefuran and used for ornamental, turf and agricultural
applications have been banned for now.

“I have directed the agency to take this step in an effort to minimize any
potential for additional incidents involving bee deaths connected to
pesticide products with this active ingredient until such time as our
investigation is completed and we have more information,” the agency’s
director, Katy Coba, said in a statement released Thursday.