From:
george abbot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Oct 2008 05:56:45 -0400
> nosema ceranae weakens the bees immune system which most researchers agree.
>  since we know samples taken in 1985 in Maine and checked last month found
> nosema ceranae spores in 30% of the samples one has to wonder the influence
> with the problem hives.. Yes fellow beekeepers nosema ceranae has been in
> the U.S. a long long time. At least 24 years and exactly how much longer is
> being looked at as I write.

As noted in prior posts, CCD symptoms were seen in Maine back when viruses
first became a major problem. They were reported to Beltsville and the
symptoms could not be duplicated there but they were seen here and
attributed to the deadly combo of virus and mites. Interesting to see the
results of intuition by Tony J that nosema ceranae has been with us for much
longer than thought (he sent the samples for testing). His is the one voice
that has been right in this for the longest time.

BTW, excellent post Bob.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine