From:
Ian Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Sep 1998 13:50:29 -0400
>Ian - I do not see the difference as the "killer bees" to which you
>refer, trace their origins back to some hives of bees that were imported
>from Africa to a University in Brazil. As I understand it, someone
>accidentally left a queen excluder screen off the entrance and
>a swarm issued forth .......................and they were off & running !

Because, there is not one "African" bee.  In Africa, there are several
subspecies, some of which are scutellata, monticola, capensis,
adansonii and lamarckii, all of  which have different characteristics.
As I said in my original post, the "Africanized Honey Bee" is a cross
between A. m. scutellata queens, which are the ones unfortunately
let loose in Brazil in 1956 and whatever drones the queens mate with.
I understand the scutellata genes are dominant, hence the aggressive
"Africanized honeybees", which as we have found, is a confusing term.

Hopefully, this is clearer now?

Regards,

Ian Watson    [log in to unmask]
real estate agent     gardener    baritone
beekeeper---> 14 colonies