Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 1997 21:02:30 GMT+0200
With  reference to the numerous posts on burr comb removal. I  have
been watching how my bees build buurr comb and have concluded that it
is for insulation purposes.  Wild hives are hardly ever situated in a
place where the brood nest has half a meter to a meter of honey
stored over it. In my experience the brood nest is uusually below the
ceiling of whatever theyare on, seperated by three cm of capped
honey.

Hence my gut feeling is that the bees are trying to conserve heat by
plggin up all the holesthat would lead to convection cuurrents
cooling them down.

Has anybody ever read of a hive where the supers are below and the
brood nest above for winter in mild areas?

Anyhow,  I tried removing burr comb and then formulated thisexcusenot
to.

Keep  well

Garth

---
Garth Cambray       "Opinions expressed in this post may be those
15 Park Road         of Pritz, my cat, who knows a lot about
Grahamstown          catfood."
South Africa               Phone 27-0461-311663

In general, generalisations are bad.
But don't worry BEEEEEE happy.