From:
Peter Dillon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 8 Oct 2002 22:52:59 +0100
Allen's question relating to terminology to describe the replacement of a Queen bee -

commonly passing under the term of SUPERSEDURE,
or Supercedure(?).
Defined as (amongst others) , "to set as side in favour of another". (Chambers 20th C. dictionary)

I have used the term supersedure to describe conditions present in a bee colony where either of the
following two situations occurs.

a. Perfect supersedure - where a new queen becomes mated and starts laying in the colony together
with the old queen - before the bees remove the old queen.

b. Imperfect supersedure - where the bees rid them selves of the old queen before the new queen is
laying.

These terms are from Beekeeping Study notes by J.D. & B.D. Yates.

Note that causes are not quoted for the supersedure occurring.
As posted in previous mails, reasons for "replacement" of a queen varies from the very obvious to
the un-explained.

Just as a quick point: if as Jerry suggests -" If bees vary in their
ability to detect odors (which we have documented),......." - would this not be a possible cause for
increased Supersedure.
A slight decline in Queen substance would be quickly noted by the colony, which would in turn then
proceed to prepare for swarming or replacement!!

Regards
Peter