From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 10:37:23 -0500
On 15 Jun 98 at 23:25, John Summerfield wrote:

> Golly, you sure are overcomplicating things.
> When I split very successfully, I simply took about three frames
> that contained good numbers of FRESH eggs and other brood, honey and
> pollen and moved them into a new single super hive 12 feet away from
> my original two super hive.  The rest of the frames were former

I don't think it's a matter of complicating things. It should be
pointed out there are two distinctly different methods of making
splits, and that seems to be the problem under discussion.
        If you want a split that makes it's own queen, then this method,
while being dubious at times regarding queen quality, does work.
(There is plenty in the archives regarding emergency queen cells.)
        The previous post regarding queen introduction and splits was
incorrect in that he still added open brood. With queen introduction
it is imperative to only use sealed brood and young bees to ensure a
good acceptance rate.
        One point missed by both is 'feeding'. We feed every nuc and split
on an ongoing basis all summer long. I remember a nuc that was
missed, it was a sorry sight. Dead bees everywhere, dry comb, they
had even tried ingesting both young open and sealed brood, took
them weeks to recover.

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Dr, Unit 2,
Orillia, Ontario, L3V 6H1
Phone/fax  705-326-7171