From:
Murray McGregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Nov 2009 04:00:57 +0000
In message <605BC0A2F2DA4FADBE00E1AED414E02C@office>, Peter Edwards
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>Is this due to a trait of native bees, or because nucs of native stock
>with EFB were sold by someone who did not realise that they had EFB?
>My understanding is the latter.
Hello Peter

Two stories getting intertwined there and I suspect being related to you
thus.

The sold bees were carrying AFB, not EFB, and the number of colonies
involved in the sale in minimal. The breeder has sold nucleii in small
numbers for many years. Not too sure but I think the number of places
single infected nucs went may be only 3. It is possible some EFB from
the same source may have been sold on but I have not heard of it, and
all contacts from that source have been inspected.

Inverness outbreak, which is totally distinct from the Tayside centred
one is also AFB, and is traceable back to the old equipment of one long
deceased beekeeper being put back into use and distributed among a
relatively small number of beekeepers in the area.

The EFB outbreak is Tayside centred, may be of a few years vintage, and
seems centred in native stock.

I have heard some fairly twisted and opinion rich/fact deficient
feedback apparently coming through the English network of bee
inspectors, but I am right at the centre of this, and if there is
anything you want to know please come back to me off list. If you prefer
you could try Gavin Ramsay, as we both attend the same meetings in
Edinburgh regarding these outbreaks and their control.

Gavin's pages on the Scottish beekeepers website are useful and will
show you the extent of the situation. There is still MUCH work for the
inspectors to do before they are even sure of the full extent of these
outbreaks, especially the AFB. There are also statements and a map on
the Scottish Govt website, but they are sparse on useful information due
to their need to protect the sensitivities of the individuals involved.
I had a lot of strife with the inspectorate at the outset of this
concerning the level of secrecy, and stated plainly that I waived my
right to confidentiality in the interests of getting the info out there
in the public domain so other beekeepers knew what to look for, and had
Gavin come and take pictures of it. All to no avail as it took a couple
of weeks before the govt. got the information flow going.

Murray

--
Murray McGregor