From:
Harry Sweet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Dec 1996 15:16:37 -0500
Hi all,
Folks always expect a beehive to be white. However my logical
mind thinks that linseed oil is the way to go. August in California
is oiling month for me, the dry wood really soaks it up.  My bodies
last for years and I've found no reason to paint. Natural wood is great
camoflage for those who like to be low-key.
Linseed oil:
   Awesome wood preservative
   Applicable over last year's treatment
   Allows wood to breathe more than paint
Paint:
   Covers, but doesn't penetrate
   Chips
Stain:
   Alkyd oil base (linseed) works as good as linseed for those
   who prefer white hives.

I must say, after 2 mos on bee-l I'm really enjoying this. I hope folks
aren't hesitant to to speak-up because of flamers or green users.
Thank Gawd for the DELETE button. It's not rude to use it.
Happy Soltice and Peace fellow beekeepers!
Harry Sweet