From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Sep 2009 02:04:11 -0400
On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 10:45:09 -0300, Claude Hachey <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I am at a bit of a loss.  I came across some colonies headed by new Australian/Italians in
mid summer and found several with eggs only.  No hatched brood.

I looked for at least two hours to find a good explanation for this. I know that inbreeding
leads to low brood viability but I have never heard of 100% inviable eggs.

> Research workers investigating apparent low egg viability in inbred lines discovered that
sex in bees is determined by the alleles at a single locus. If an egg is a heterozygote at this
locus, it will develop into a female. If it is homozygous or hemizygous, it will develop into a
male. The apparent nonviable eggs found in the inbred lines were diploid eggs homozygous
at the sex locus. Worker bees selectively remove and destroy homozygous diploid larvae
from the comb just after they hatch.

from
Breeding and Genetics of Honey Bees
By: John R. Harbo and Thomas E. Rinderer
http://maarec.cas.psu.edu/bkCD/HBBiology/breeding_genetics.htm