From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Apr 2010 08:10:57 -0700
> the results obtained with the German beemonitoring project did not reveal
any relation between infection with Nosema spec. and winter losses although
both Nosema species are prevalent in Germany

Perhaps the operative word here is "prevalent."  Those colonies with
"strong" infection (the authors used a nonstandard semiquantitative metric),
were rare--in the 1-2% range.  The authors also did not differentiate
between the nosema species.

So I'm not sure why overall infections were so low in Germany.  As far as
statistical analysis of the results, since the presence of strong infections
were so rare, I would hesitate to draw conclusions about nosema from this
particular data set (the paper overall is excellent).

>Too busy to treat has led to the demise of many a commercial beekeeper.

My concern exactly, Bob!  Sometimes I wonder if the time that I spend on
Bee-L would be better spent taking care of my hives!  But I'd miss you!

Randy Oliver