From:
Bobby R Fanning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Oct 1996 20:03:06 -0600
I realize this is now a very old issue but I have a new (to me) solution to
the "ants in the bee hive" problem.

I use two concrete blocks to support each end of two landscaping timbers
for stands.    I had an ant problem.   I had a can of inexpensive grease
that I use to grease the I-beam on my wood splitter.

I smeared a band of this grease about 2 inches wide all the way around each
landscaping timber on each side of the hive(s) (4 bands total).    A couple
of them were not smooth bands as the concrete block had to also be
isolated.   The grease bands must isolate the hive(s) from all contact with
the ground.

The is pretty resistant to moisture and the ants are not crossing it.

Bob Fanning
Huntsville Al