From:
Cusick Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2012 10:27:45 -0400
I'm in a pretty bad drought (like many others) right now that is wrecking
the normal fall flow.  The bees are usually packing in the goldenrod right
now, but all their getting is pollen for the most part.  (Even the
Jeruselem artichokes are starting to wilt)  I already started feeding a
while ago, but they are not taking down the syrup as fast as I'd like and
have a good ways to go.  I seem to recall reading in discussion that part
of the problem is that each bee has to find the food in the hive etc (I use
the inverted jar method inside my ventilated covers which are screened off
to avoid robbing problems).  I realize that it would be faster if the syrup
was closer to the brood nest/cluster, but I despise frame feeders.  The
only time I ever tried open feeding I only had one hive at the time so
there wasn't much concern about doing it and they took down the food fast.
Is it safe to open feed if the syrup is outside the apiary (to avoid
robbing)?  If so what is a safe distance?  100yards, 200?  I realize the
situation is not ideal, but then again nothing has been ideal about this
year for my bees (well other than the pile of free bees I got this Spring).

Jeremy
West Michigan