Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 2013 14:23:03 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
Pete said:
"The fundamental difference between organic and synthetic pesticides is not their toxicity, but their origin—whether they are extracted from natural plants, insects, or mineral ores or are chemically synthesized. "

> I believe the definition of "organic" is flawed.

I guess I didn't make it clear, the paragraphs were from the source quoted below. In my opinion the definitions of organic, natural, artificial, etc. are entirely subjective. Proof of this is that no one in this group has ever agreed upon workable definitions. It boils down to what the individual thinks is good, bad, etc. 

As a society we try to work toward a consensus, and form regulations and laws which work adequately for the most people. Nobody will ever agree with another's set of values 100%, but we can agree upon a compromise that prevents as much injustice as possible while allowing as much freedom as possible. 

Actually, I have spent many years pondering the issue of nature and what is natural. I recommend Bill McKibben's book "The End of Nature" as a starting point for thinking about this difficult topic. We won't settle it here and maybe won't settle it ever. 

PLB

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2